September 13, 2008

Concurrent Processing: LMO and Work Permit

Here's another tip on how to expedite the process for work permit application - concurrent processing.

Ordinarily, you need a Labor Market Opinion (LMO) before you may file your application. However, certain temporary foreign worker applicants are allowed to file their work permit applications while their LMO is still in process at Service Canada.

  • The job you are applying for must be listed in the National Occupational Classification (NOC) at the O, A or B level. For more information, see National Occupational Classification List.

  • You must be applying for a work permit at a Canadian visa office outside Canada.

  • These procedures do not apply to the Live-in Caregiver Program, the Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program or the Pilot Project for Occupations Requiring Lower Levels of Formal Training (NOC C and D), also known as the Low Skill Pilot.

  • How to apply

    Include the following documents with your work permit application:

  • A letter to the visa office stating that you want concurrent processing of your work permit application and that you are aware that a positive LMO issued by Service Canada is required before a work permit can be issued to you.

  • A copy of your employer’s application for an LMO, along with a copy of your job offer or contract in Canada.

  • Your application processing fee.

  • Important Reminders:

  • You must send the approved LMO to the visa office as soon as you receive it from your employer (include your visa office file number).

  • If the LMO is still pending 60 days after you have applied for the work permit, you must contact your employer to find out how much longer Service Canada anticipates it will take to process the LMO.

  • You must advise the visa office if Service Canada requires more than a total of 90 days after the work permit application was made to process the LMO, otherwise your work permit could be refused.

  • If you need assistance on concurrent processing of your LMO and Work Permit application, email me at