May 1, 2009

Caregivers in Canada may no longer apply for Permanent Resident Visa?

Are there changes in Canada's caregiver program? Rumor has it that caregivers in Canada may no longer apply for permanent resident visa even after complying with the 2-year work experience requirement. I have received and email from a reader asking about this rumor.

The truth is I'm not really sure if there's a truth in it. The first thing I did was to check the Citizenship and Immigration Canada's official website. It should be there if there are changes in the program, I supposed. And here's what I've found:

You can become a permanent resident of Canada if you have completed at least two years of employment as a live-in caregiver:

  • The two years must be within three years of the date you arrived in Canada. You can use an ROE or letter from your employer(s) confirming the period of time that you have worked and either a statement of earnings or T4 slips, as proof of your employment.

  • The two years do not include any extended time outside Canada. For example, if you leave Canada on vacation for three months, that period does not count in the two-year requirement. If you work for your employer outside Canada, for example, on a family vacation, this also will not count in the two-year requirement.

  • Read more about becoming a permanent resident of Canada as caregiver here.

    So there. It looks like the rumor is not true. But just the same, I'll do more research and update this entry should I find changes in Canada's caregiver program.