April 8, 2009

Visit Visa Extension

I have just received an email from a client whom I assisted in her tourist visa application few months ago. She's asking for help on her visit visa extension.

Are visitors allowed to extend their stay in Canada?

Ordinarily, visitors are allowed to stay in Canada for no more than six months but, in some special cases, visitors man stay longer. If you decide to stay longer, you can apply for an extension and such application must be sent at least 30 days before your Temporary Resident Visa expires.

If you stay longer than you are allowed by your visa, you will lose your temporary resident status and you could be asked to leave Canada.

How to apply
1. Download the application kit here

2. There is a processing fee amounting to C$75 for visa extension and C$200 for Restoration of Temporary Resident Status (due to loss of status as a visitor, worker or student). You may pay the fee through internet or through any Canadian Financial institution. Processing fee is non-refundable.

3. Complete the forms, attach supporting documents including processing fee payment receipt and mail your application to:
Citizenship and Immigration - Visitor
Case Processing Centre
6212 - 55th Avenue, Unit 303
Vegreville, AB
T9C 1W1

You will receive a letter regarding your case and you will be informed if you need to take any further action.

If your temporary resident status extension has been granted, an immigration document will be sent to you. If your application is refused, you can only stay in Canada until the expiry date of your current temporary resident status.

If you applied for restoration of temporary resident status, you will receive a letter advising you of the decision and instructions to follow.

If your application has been referred to a local office, you will be notified of this and will subsequently be contacted by this office.