May 17, 2009

New Procedure: Federal Skilled Worker Class Application

When the new Federal Skilled Worker Class program was implemented last year, the guidelines clearly stated that all applications will have to be submitted first to Centralized Intake Office (CIO) for assessment. But if have an Arranged Employment Opinion or Provincial Nominee Program nomination certificate, you may submit your application directly to Canadian Visa Office applicable to you.

Here's a new procedure for Federal Skilled Worker Class Applications .

All applicants in the Federal Skilled Worker Class, must submit their initial application to the Centralized Intake Office in Canada as of April 1, 2009.

There are three categories under the Federal Skilled Worker Class:
  • Category 1: For persons in an occupation which corresponds to the list of occupations identified in the Ministerial Instructions and have evidence of one year of continuous full-time (or full-time equivalent) experience in that occupation;

  • Category 2: For persons who have arranged employment offer with a Canadian employer; or

  • Category 3: For students or workers who are legally residing in Canada, and have done so for at least 12 months immediately before submitting their application.

  • There are two other programs for skilled workers who want to become permanent residents - Provincial Nominee and Quebec Skilled Workers.

    IF you have an AEO and you have submitted your application to Canadian Visa Office and wondering why it is taking so long to be processed, check your Canada visa application status online. There is a great chance that your application was transferred to CIO. Here's CIO Mailing Address.

    For more information about the new procedure on Federal Skilled Worker Class program, visit