September 3, 2012

RA 10172 Clerical Error Law | Correcting Errors in Birth Certificates Without Court Crder

With the passage of Republic Act (RA) 10172, it is now easier to correct clerical errors in birth certificates.  Local Civil Registrars (LCR) are now authorized to correct wrong entries in birth certificates even without a court order. 

It extended the coverage of exemptions to requirement of judicial approval for correction on entries in the birth certificate.

Under the new law, the city or municipal registrar may correct clerical or typographical errors in the day and month of date of birth or gender without a court order.

The previous law did not include the entries on date of birth and gender among the exemptions on court approval requirement and only specified entries on first name and nickname in the civil register.
Read full story from PhilStar.Com.