April 20, 2013

New FSW Program Details Released, Now What?

The details about the new Federal Skilled Worker program is now officialy released by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. See Breaking News: New FSW Priority Occupations and List of Organizations Designated to Conduct Educational Credential Assessments Finally Out!

Now What?

For you to be eligible under the new FSW program, you must have an Arranged Employpment, currently enrolled in PhD program or with at least 1 year experience in any of the following 24 eligible occupations:

    0211 Engineering managers
    1112 Financial and investment analysts
    2113 Geoscientists and oceanographers
    2131 Civil engineers
    2132 Mechanical engineers
    2134 Chemical engineers
    2143 Mining engineers
    2144 Geological engineers
    2145 Petroleum engineers
    2146 Aerospace engineers
    2147 Computer engineers (except software engineers/designers)
    2154 Land surveyors
    2174 Computer programmers and interactive media developers
    2243 Industrial instrument technicians and mechanics
    2263 Inspectors in public and environmental health and occupational health and safety
    3141 Audiologists and speech-language pathologists
    3142 Physiotherapists
    3143 Occupational Therapists
    3211 Medical laboratory technologists
    3212 Medical laboratory technicians and pathologists' assistants
    3214 Respiratory therapists, clinical perfusionists and cardiopulmonary technologists
    3215 Medical radiation technologists
    3216 Medical sonographers
    3217 Cardiology technicians and electrophysiological diagnostic technologists, n.e.c. (not elsewhere classified)

You must meet the passmark using the new points system.  For the IELTS Examination result, you must not have a score lower than 6.

Occupation Included in the list

If your occupation is included in the list, you must immediately process your application for Education Credentials Assessment by sending your application to applicable designated instiutions:

    Comparative Education Service;
    International Credential Assessment Service of Canada;
    World Education Services; and,
    Medical Council of Canada.

If you do not have IELTS result yet, schedule your exam as soon as possible. Starting May 4, 2013, Citizenship and Immigration Canada will accept only a limited number of applications - An overall cap of 5,000 new applications for all eligible occupations, including a sub-cap of 300 new applications for each eligible occupation.

Occupation not included in the list

If your occupation is not in the list but you still want to live and work in Canada, there is still hope.  It's not the end of the world.  But we of course understand how frustrating it is for those who have prepared in advance.  However, given the current state and direction of Canada's immigration program, you really have to be ready at all times if you are seriously considering the plan to live and work in Canada.

Once the over all cap of 5,000 has been reached, a new list may be released or quite possibly, the Expression of Interest System will be implemented in 2014. But while waiting for this happen, there are alternatives you may consider:

Provincial Nominee Program.  To be eligible under this program, you need somebody from Canada to support or endorse your application. It could be employer, immediate relative or friend/distant relative.  If you know somebody in the Province of Manitoba, consider Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program.

Work Permit.  You need a job offer before you may apply for a Work Permit and Temporary Resident Visa.    Get help from your network in Canada. Check job vacancies in Canada using the Internet and send an application online.  See: How to Find Jobs in Canada.

Quebec Option.  Nurses may not be included in the 24 Eligible Occupations but it is highly in-demand in the Province of Quebec.  Consider Quebec Immigration Program.  If Quebec is not appealing to you, then consider getting licensed in any of the province in Canada. See: Guide for Filipino Nurses.

Study Permit.  Another option is to upgrade your education by studying in Canada, get a Study Permit. This may be costly but once in after finishing the program, there's an opportunity for you to immigrate under the Canadian Experience Class. While in Canada, you are closer to employers who may be interested to hire you and support your application for permanent residence in Canada.