January 2, 2014

Apply to Sponsor Parent or Grandparent | CIC to Accept Applications Starting January 2, 2014

Citizenship and Immigration Canada will be accepting applications for parent and grandparent sponsorship starting January 2, 2014! More information here.

Apply to Sponsor Parent or Grandparent
Image Credit: www.earlyexperiences.org

To be a sponsor:
  • You and the sponsored relative must sign a sponsorship agreement that commits you to provide financial support for your relative if necessary. This agreement also states that the person becoming a permanent resident will make every effort to support themselves. Dependent children under age 22 do not have to sign this agreement. Quebec residents must sign an “undertaking” with the province of Quebec—a contract binding the sponsorship.
  • You must promise to provide financial support for the relative and any other eligible relatives accompanying them for a period of three to ten years, depending on their age and relationship to you. This time period begins on the date they become a permanent resident.
You may not be eligible to sponsor a relative if you:
  • failed to provide the financial support you agreed to when you signed a sponsorship agreement to sponsor another relative in the past
  • defaulted on a court-ordered support order, such as alimony or child support
  • received government financial assistance for reasons other than a disability
  • were convicted of a violent criminal offence, any offence against a relative or any sexual offence—depending on circumstances, such as the nature of the offence, how long ago it occurred and whether a record suspension (formerly called “pardons” in Canada), was issued
  • defaulted on an immigration loan—late or missed payments
  • are in prison or
  • have declared bankruptcy and have not been released from it yet.
If you need help if processing your sponsorship application, send email to canada@proimmigrationadvisers.com.