top of page
Beach Vacation

Visitor Record

What is a Visitor Record?

A visitor record in Canada is an official document issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that allows you to stay in Canada beyond your initial period of authorized stay. Unlike a visa, which is used for entry into Canada, a visitor record is used to extend your stay within the country.

Here are the key points about a visitor record:

  • Purpose: It permits you to remain in Canada longer as a visitor, a worker authorized to work without a work permit, or a student authorized to study without a study permit.

  • Application: You must apply for a visitor record before your current status expires. This can be done online or by paper application.

  • Expiry Date: The visitor record includes a new expiry date, which is the date by which you must leave Canada.

  • Not a Visa: It does not provide entry privileges; it only extends your stay. If you leave Canada, you may need a valid visa or electronic travel authorization (eTA) to re-enter.

To apply for a visitor record, you need to provide relevant documentation and information about your stay, and it’s important to apply well before your current status expires to ensure continuous legal status in Canada.

How to Apply for a Visitor Record?

Information about applying for a Visitor Record is available on Canada's immigration website ( Hiring an Immigration Lawyer or a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant is not mandatory for this application.

However, if you need assistance with your Visitor Record application, Gateway to Canada can help through its IRCC Authorized Representative. With over 30 years of experience in Canadian visa processing, Gateway to Canada offers reliable support.

Start Now

About Us

We work with almost all public colleges and universities in Canada.

Get Ready Program

Affordable, Flat-fee rate unlimited consultancy services.

News and Updates

Immigration and Canada related news and updates.

More Information

Related links

bottom of page