October 22, 2011

Dependent Child of a Depenent Child or Spouse | Qualified Dependent

QUESTION: My wife has a son from her previous marriage. Can I include her son as my dependent for our permanent residence visa application?

ANSWER: You may include all your family members in your application. Family members include a spouse, a common-law partner, dependent children, and the dependent child of a dependent child.

Dependent child of a dependent child refers to children of dependent children of the principal applicant or those of his or her spouse or common-law partner.

Yes, you may include your wife's son as a dependent or family member.

Reference: Guide 7000


Gateway to Canada is part of the Canadian Immigration Consultancy Group, the largest immigration consultancy firm in the Philippines. CIC started its operation in 1989. Clients of Gateway to Canada are represented by an IRCC Authorized Paid Representative.