June 17, 2019

Home Child Care Provider and Home Support Worker Pilot Programs

Some good news for those applying for permanent residence in Canada via Caregiver Program!

Starting June 18, 2019, the Home Child Care Provider and Home Support Worker pilot programs will be opened to accept applications.  Here's how it works:

Home Child Care Provider and Home Support Worker Pilot Programs

Use the two-step process to work in Canada and qualify for permanent residence.

  • job offer
  • CLB 5 language level
  • 1 year of Canadian post-secondary education or foreign equivalent
  • Admissibility
Outside of Canada?

Step 1. Submit applications for permanent residence and work or study permit(s) for yourself and your family.

Get an occupation-specific work permit to obtain the work experience you need for permanent residence.

Get work or study permits for your spouse or common-law partner and children to come with you.

Step 2. Permanent residence finalized

Inform IRCC when you have completed 2 years of work experience and your permanent residence application will be finalized.

Already in Canada? You have choices!

If you already have some work experience as an in-home caregiver in Canada, you can:

Use the 2 step process above to get the rest of the work experience you need to get permanent status


Keep working in Canada with your current work permit and apply for permanent residence once you have 2 years of work experience and meet the criteria

Quick facts about the Home Child Care Provider and Home Support Worker Pilot Programs
  • The expiring pilots will close to new applications on June 18, 2019. Caregivers who have applied before this date will continue to have their applications processed through to a final decision.
  • Caregivers who have been working toward applying to the soon-to-be-expired pilots can now apply through either the Home Child Care Provider Pilot or the Home Support Worker Pilot
  • The Interim Pathway for Caregivers, the short-term pathway for caregivers who came to Canada as temporary foreign workers since 2014 but were unable to qualify for permanent residence through an existing program, will be extended. It will re-open on July 8, 2019 and accept applications for 3 months
  • The new pilots, Home Child Care Provider and Home Support Worker, will each have a maximum of 2,750 principal applicants, for a total of 5,500 principal applicants per year, plus their immediate family.
  • Initial applications to the new pilots will have a 12-month processing service standard. A 6-month processing standard will apply for finalizing an application after the caregiver submits proof that they have met the work experience requirement.
  • With the move to occupation-specific work permits under the Home Child Care and Home Support Worker pilots, employers will no longer need a Labour Market Impact Assessment before hiring a caregiver from overseas.

Applicant from the Philippines?

To qualify, it is no longer enough that you have 72 units in College. If you finished high school within 10 school years, you must have at least 3 years of post secondary studies. If you finished Grade 12, you must finish at least 1 year post secondary program. 

Interested to study, work and live in Canada? Take our FREE Online Assessment